This home was the second Empire mansion built by Georgia-born merchant, pioneer and local banker, Nathaniel Royster Royall (1846-1905) and his wife Annie Richardson, a native of Alabama. Local historians suggest that the house incorporates elements of the Galveston homes Mr. Royall had seen while traveling. The fanciful original paint scheme (red and white) was indeed suggestive of a summer resort hotel. A Confederate veteran, Mr. Royall moved to Palestine in 1873 and purchased a one-third interest in a general mercantile and banking business. The interior features grained woodwork and basement servant rooms. The mansard roof originally sported iron cresting around the perimeter. The Palestine public Library was founded during a reception and meeting in this home. The house remains in the Royall family.