Edit Mode: Add or remove places and events to this , then click done editing:

Done Editing

421 S. Magnolia St.

Add to plan Remove from plan
421 S. MAGNOLIA ST - BUILT 1874 (LOOK LEFT)

Originally a one story cottage, the house was probably built in 1874 by Newton B. Barnes, who built the first brick building in downtown. The house was enlarged by railroad bookkeeper George W. Angle and his wife Adelina. The local newspaper in 1883 called the house “ivy-wreathed and almost smothered in roses and honeysuckles (and) one of the prettiest places on the hill.” The second story was added in 1892 by Alexander White Gregg and Mary Brooks Gregg. Mr. Gregg was a lawyer who served in the U.S. Congress from 1903 through 1919 and was responsible for the federal funding of the Galveston sea wall.
  • History/Heritage
  • Architecture
  • History
Processing