This large, brick, Georgian home was built for Dr. J. C. Silliman. The architect was James Firth Brook, a New Jersey native and later resident of Palestine, who designed many prominent local buildings, including the Redlands Hotel in downtown. Contractor for the job was C.S. Maffitt. The original owner sold the home to his cousin, John H. Silliman, a Mississippi native. Mr. Silliman operated, in Palestine, one of the largest hardware stores in East Texas, which was founded in 1871. Ten years after this house was built, Silliman married architect Brooks’ daughter. Take note of the quoined walls, which are the blocks delineating the corners of the building, as well as the Palladian window and tile roof.