ANTIOCH MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH - 907 E. MURCHISON
Although this building is relatively new, this church is important for its’ role in the history of Palestine’s African American community. This congregation was organized in homes in 1856. In 1873 the congregation received a land grant from Judge John H. Reagan at the corner of Mulberry and Birch streets where the church adopted the name Antioch. The grant was given to assist former slaves after reconstruction. In 1884 a small red church very similar to the Mt. Vernon A.M.E Church was built on this site. In 1921 the building was completely remodeled and bricked by W.A. Freeman, who built Mt. Vernon. The historic church was destroyed by fire in 1962. This church received a Texas Historical Commission marker noting the age of this African-American congregation and the assistance the congregation got from the community leaders after reconstruction.