ELMWOOD - 601 E. HODGES (LOOK STRAIGHT AHEAD) BUILT 1910 TWO-STORY CLASSIC REVIVAL
This property was originally the site of a log cabin built by one of the areas earliest settlers, Judge James Perry. Prominent local businessman, Adolphus Benson Hodges (1858-1913), built the home known as Elmwood which was designed by James F. Brook. It was completed in 1910-1911, shortly before his death. Hodges operated a state-wide chain of mercantile stores with his brother, Daniel. It is believed that the home was originally a Queen Anne Style residence, but was changed substantially in the early twentieth century when the pediment portico was added to the front of the house.