McCLURE - McREYNOLDS-FOWLER HOUSE - 921 N PERRY (LOOK LEFT) BUILT 1849 ALTERED 1890
This home was built by Judge Alexander E. McClure in 1849. He arrived in Texas from Tennessee in 1840 and resided in Ft. Houston for several years until moving to Palestine. He became the first district clerk for Anderson County and co-owner of the “Trinity Advocate”, the region’s first newspaper. He was one of the area’s most prominent lawyers. The house was originally built as a center passage dwelling similar to the Howard house, also on this tour. The next owner, Zachariah Aycock McReynolds (1846-1928), purchased the house in 1884 and altered it around 1890 to its current U-shaped plan. McReynolds was a native of Georgia and a confederate veteran. He was elected to several local offices including district clerk, county clerk, county judge, tax collector and postmaster in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. His daughter, Ella Sue McReynolds, married a grandson of John H. Reagan, Colonel Godfrey Rees Fowler (1876-1958). The couple retired to the home in 1934 after McReynolds’ death. The house is still in the McReynolds family.