OLD ALAMO SCHOOL - 1101 N. CEDAR BUILT 1911 TWO-STORY INSTITUTIONAL BUILDING WITH CLASSICAL REVIVAL FEATURES
The Alamo school was constructed in 1911 and has been an important physical and cultural landmark in the Northside residential neighborhood. Maintained as a school building through the 1980’s, rather than demolish it, it was converted into a beautiful and functional public library in the early ‘90’s. Except for replacing the original wood sash double-hung windows, the rehabilitation of the building has been done with sympathy to the character of the Alamo school. In 1992 it was the recipient of the Outstanding Small Library Award from the American Library Association. Due to structural problems concerning the two additions to the building, the library was eventually moved to the Palestine Mall, which had been purchased by the City of Palestine.