The Texas theater opened in 1917 as “The Best Theater” and is believed to have been constructed for the purpose of Vaudeville performances before becoming a movie theater in 1923. The current structure, build after a devastating fire, is a prime example of Spanish colonial architecture and was designed as an atmospheric movie palace when it opened in 1930. It was the most expensive theater building text at the time. In its earliest days, it had an organ which played background music for silent movies
The Texas Theatre, home of Palestine Community Theatre, is the crown jewel of downtown Palestine and the finest venue for live entertainment in East Texas. This historic structure, located at 213 W. Crawford St in Palestine, Texas, is a prime example of Spanish Colonial architecture and was designed as an atmospheric movie palace when it opened in 1930. After two devastating fires, and a host of closings and re-openings, the Texas Theatre has been reborn to its new purpose: live theatre.
Over the past 25 years, the stage of the Texas has spotlighted many of our talented neighbors with productions such as “Guy's and Dolls”, “Harvey”, “The Wizard of Oz”, “Man of La Mancha”, “Clue: The Musical” and “Disney's Beauty and the Beast”. Palestine Community Theatre strives to provide family friendly entertainment featuring local talent, while delivering a quality ofproductions that is unsurpassed in the area. PCT has also made the restoration of the Texas Theatre a priority since its re-opening and lighting of the TEXAS in 2005. The theatre now awaits its Grand Re-Opening with the final phase of renovations, which will includenew doors and a ticket booth, complimenting the meticulous restoration that has taken place in the lobby and auditorium.