THE HOWARD HOUSE - 1011 N PERRY (LOOK LEFT) BUILT 1851 ONE STORY GREEK REVIVAL
The George and Cornelia Howard house is one of Palestine’s finest historical homes. It is a classic example of a center passage dwelling with Greek Revival style features. The oldest portion of the house was built in 1848 by Ruben A and Sarah Reeves. Reeves later became a justice of the Texas Supreme Court of the New Mexico territory. Colonel George Robert Howard (1818-1900) was a North Carolina native and arrived in Palestine in 1848 and moved into this house in 1851 following his marriage to Cornelia Ann cox (1829-1909). After purchasing the house, the couple made several small additions to the house and applied the architectural detailing that is classic for a Greek Revival vernacular house. Colonel Howard held several elected offices including county treasurer, county clerk, district clerk, representative to the Texas Legislature and mayor of Palestine. After his death in 1900, his son Thomas Howard (1870-1927) and his wife Gertrude Pugh Howard moved into the dwelling. Mr. Howard was a manager for the Houston Chronicle. After her husband’s death in 1927, “Miss Gertie” continued as the principal of the Alamo School for many years. After her death in the 1960’s the house was sold to the city and operates as a historical museum. Tours by appointment only.