THE JOHN AND EMMA HEARNE HOUSE - 503 E. HODGES (LOOK RIGHT) BUILT 1896 ALTERED 1902 THREE-STORY QUEEN ANNE
The Hearne house is a landmark home in Palestine and one of the finest illustrations of Queen Anne style. This home was built in 1896 by John Randolph Hearne (1854-1930), a native Texan from Robertson County who moved to Palestine in 1876 after attending college in Virginia. Mr. Hearne operated retail drug stores in Palestine and Dallas and helped organize the Palestine National Bank. Hearn’s parents invested heavily in real estate along the Brazos River. The town of Hearne is named after the family. Land was given to Hearn as a wedding present by Colonel George R. Howard when Hearne married Howard’s daughter, Emma, in 1883. The home was designed by Luther McKlemurry who also designed the Hodges-Darsey house. It was built with pine and oak lumber personally selected by Hearn. The red brick veneer was added in 1902. The house is still in the Hearne family.