VIRGIL DuBOSE HOUSE - 402 E KOLSTAD (STRAIGHT AHEAD) BUILT 1900 TWO STORY FOUR SQUARE HOUSE
This house may have existed as early as 1870 when school teacher Virgil F. DuBose rented the building from Dr. Henry H. Link. The four square style of house was very popular during the late 19th and early 20th century here in Palestine and is seen often throughout the town. DuBose bought the house from Dr. Link and expanded it. Mr. DuBose became district clerk in the late 1800’s and held that position for a long time. During this time he and his wife, Lockie, added the house’s Queen Anne ornamentation. Living here through 1941, he ended his career working for the city as manager of the Anderson County Abstract Company.